Owning a Jeep Wrangler is more than just a status symbol; it’s a lifestyle. The iconic design and rugged capabilities make it a dream vehicle for many enthusiasts. However, for those new to the Jeep community, the unique features, including opening the hood, might pose a challenge. In this guide, we’ll talk into the intricacies of unlocking your Jeep Wrangler’s hood and explore some additional tips and tricks for Jeep ownership.
How to Open Jeep Wrangler Hood (Basic Guide) –
Unlike conventional cars with a simple lever, the Jeep Wrangler requires manual intervention to pop the hood. Follow these steps meticulously:
- Front and Side Latches:
- Locate and pop the two hood latches on the front and the two on the sides.
- Hold the latch on one side and pull it down to release it.
- A rectangular hook on each side holds onto the hood base. Pull it downwards to unhook it from the hood.
- Repeat this process on both sides of the hood.
- Central Latch:
- With the side latches released, you’ll notice a gap between the hood and the base, but it won’t open.
- Look for a latch in the middle of the hood.
- Lift the hood with one hand and push the latch to the right with your other hand.
- Securing the Hood:
- Once the hood is open, you’ll see a bar hooked with the hood.
- Unhook the bar and latch it with the base to securely hold the hood in place.
How to Open Hood on Jeep Wrangler JL?
For the Jeep Wrangler JL, the process is slightly different:
- Press and hold the unlock button on the key fob until you hear a beep.
- Release the button and quickly press it again to activate the panic alarm feature.
- Keep the button pressed until the horn honks twice, indicating successful hood opening.
Opening the Hood in Different Models (2019, 2020, 2017)
Each model year may have variations in hood opening methods:
- 2020 Jeep Wrangler:
- Use the key fob by pressing the unlock button three times, or open manually using the release lever under the dashboard.
- 2019 Jeep Wrangler:
- Similar to the 2020 model, use the release lever under the dashboard or the key fob to open the hood.
- 2017 Jeep Wrangler:
- Locate the release lever under the grille on the front of the vehicle. Pull up on the lever while lifting the hood.
Unlocking Interior Doors Without a Key –
Losing your Jeep keys doesn’t mean being locked out. Here’s a simple method:
- Use a credit card between the spring and the lock’s frame.
- Flush it against the frame, bend it back, and the force will unlock the door.
Locking Your Jeep Wrangler Hood –
Closing the hood is as important as opening it. Follow these steps:
- Unhook the Holding Bar:
- Release the holding bar from the base and hook it again with the hood.
- Slowly Release the Hood:
- Lower the hood slowly, allowing the middle latch to lock securely.
- Attach Hooks Tightly:
- Ensure that the hooks are tightly attached to prevent unintentional opening, especially during off-road adventures.
Can a Jeep Lock with Keys Inside?
Yes, a Jeep can be locked with keys inside. The rocker switch and electronic lock button provide different locking mechanisms. If you ever find yourself locked out, use the aforementioned methods to regain access.
Now equipped with the knowledge of opening and closing the hood on your Jeep Wrangler, you’re ready to tackle basic maintenance tasks. Whether it’s changing the oil or replacing a fuse, understanding your vehicle’s anatomy is crucial. If you ever encounter difficulties, don’t hesitate to contact the nearest auto service center for professional assistance. Embrace the Jeep lifestyle with confidence, knowing you have the keys to unlock the mysteries under the hood of your beloved Wrangler.